#1 Bedouin coffee: a way of life
#2 Bedouin coffee types
We have two types of coffee:
- Qahwa sada, which is plain coffee
- Qahwa helwe, which is sweet coffee
Qahwa helwe comes with three different levels of sugar:
- Qahwa ariha, which is lightly sweetened
- Qahwa mazboot, which is moderately sweetened
- Qahwa ziyada which is very sweetened
The sugar is added during the preparation process. So, if possible, inform your host upfront about your wishes.
#3 Coffee etiquette
#4 Traditional way to prepare Bedouin-style coffee
Hereafter you find a step-by-step plan to make traditional Bedouin coffee.
- Roast the green Arabic beans in a pan over the fire and enjoy the pleasant smell of roasting beans.
- Boil water in a pot or pan over the fire.
- Grind the roasted beans with a mortar called mehbash and pestle and smell the intense coffee aroma.
- Grind cardamom pods, and enjoy another aroma sensation in your nose.
- Put the coffee and cardamom together in the coffee pot.
- Pour the boiled water on the coffee and cardamom.
- Infuse and boil until it has the perfect taste.
- Now enjoy your robust and tasty coffee.